Hōgon-in (Tenryū-ji)  (宝厳院)

Hōgon-in is a sub-temple of Tenryū-ji and was first built in 1461 in the middle of Kyoto (now Kamigyo ward).
It burnt down during Onin war and was rebuilt later.
In Meiji period, it was moved to it's present location in Arashiyama next to Tenryū-ji.
Hosokawa Yoriyuki had the temple wished to build by Muso Soseki. It was actually constructed by 3rd generation Seichūeikō after his death.

  •  Click to view details
eBook Coming Soon...

Directions

How to get there

・Take the JR Saga Line (JR嵯峨野線) to Saga-Arashiyama Station (嵯峨嵐山駅) with 8min walk.
・Take Keifuku-Arashiyama Line (京福電気鉄道嵐山本線) to Arashiyama Station (嵐山) with 5min walk.
・Kyoto Bus (京都バス) Number 71 and 72 to Keifuku-Arashiyama Station (京福嵐山駅前).
・City Bus (市バス) Number 28 to Arashiyama-Tenryū-ji Mae (嵐山天龍寺前).

Follow the road to Tenryū-ji entrance, but go to the left over the parking lot before entering the temple.
Hōgon-in lies to the right side.

Opening times
9:00am - 5:00pm
Opens twice a year.
Next opening: Middle of March until June 30th 2015.

Admission fee
500 Yen

Address
京都府京都市右京区嵯峨天竜寺芒ノ馬場町36
Kyoto, Ukyo-ku, Saga-tenryu-ji-susukinobaba-cho 36

Related Contents

 Top of page