Tenryū-ji  (天龍寺)

The temple was founded by shogun Ashikaga Takauji in 1339, primarily to venerate Gautama Buddha, and its first head priest was Musō Soseki. Construction was completed in 1345. As a temple related to both the Ashikaga family and Emperor Go-Daigo, the temple is held in high esteem, and is ranked number one among Kyoto's so-called Five Mountains. In 1994, it was registered as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, as part of the "Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto".

There are two different tickets - one for the garden and another for the temple buildings itself. We saw the garden only, but would recommend to buy the temple ticket, as you get to see the garden from the temple and the inside of great fusuma-e, the sliding screen paintings on the inside of the temple.

  •  Click to view details
eBook Coming Soon...

Directions

Address
68 Saga-tenryuji-susukinobaba-cho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto
Admission
500 Yen
Opening hours
April - October: 8:30am - 5:30pm
November-March: 8:30am - 5pm

Related Contents

 Top of page